Thursday, October 16, 2014

[su:m]

Linda picked this one, and I had no idea what to expect, but was curious: two young South Korean women who play traditional instruments in a modern way - they were billed as having an affinity for Phillip Glass type minimalist music.  The venue was also a new one for me: the concert was held at the Keizersberg Abbey, which turned out to be a very fitting location.

The music was actually more melodic than I would have expected, given the comparison to minimalist music, but I was actually glad - to me, a melody makes a piece that much more accessible and enjoyable.  It was fascinating watching the two musicians play their very unique instruments (we were lucky enough to nab seats in the first row), in the sober and mystical abbey church.  They played pieces that alternated between on the one hand, quite loud and rhythmic, and on the other, softer and quite contemplative.

Below a video I found of one of the pieces I enjoyed the most, entitled "Passing Rain":





After the concert we had the opportunity to have a glass of abbey beer in the monks' dining room, served by two monks in full attire, which was a first for me!

All in all, an enjoyable and unique evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment