Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wim Helsen - Spijtig, spijtig, spijtig

Went with my youngest son to see this show by one of our favorite Flemish comedians, Wim Helsen, master in absurd comedy with a twist of melancholy.  And just about the only person I know who can fill an entire 90 minute show with a story about standing in line waiting to pee in the bathroom of a bar.  I love the way he takes us into his own universe, how he gets sidetracked but always, always comes back to the very human situation of feeling awkward and misunderstood, and the hilarious ways he (or rather the character he plays) tries to compensate for it, some of his ways more recognizable to the rest of us than others.  Respect!  And I have always loved his voice and cheeky smile, from back in the day when he was on Man Bijt Hond with "Vrienden van de poezie" (see video below).  It was a real treat to see him live for the first time, and going by how much my son was cracking up in the seat next to me, I wasn't the only one who felt this way.  Awesome evening out!

No comments:

Post a Comment